AMD Deneb X4 (Update :officially Phenom II X4)

felix

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Εξτρα πληροφορίες από πρώτο χέρι (source) :

(...)Phenom II and the Dragon platform can overclock to 4GHz on air - we were demonstrated a system @ 3.9GHz using stock bus frequency and HT link frequency and a multiplier set at 19.5x. This was done with 1.55v BIOS set. This system was looping endlessly through a Crysis time demo without issue; by the end of the day it was past 100 loops.

The platform core specifications demonstrated were as follows:

Phenom II processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard

Radeon HD4870X2 graphics

OCZ Reaper memory

While the unit demonstrated was @ 3.9GHz, we later had a hands on benching period with the new platform and I was able to quite easily reach this stated 4GHz frequency.

This same platform also exceeded 5GHz on liquid nitrogen cooling. But what was perhaps the coolest (no pun intended) specific of this demonstration was the processor operating and even cold booting at -196 degrees Celsius - that's right, AMD has no cold bugs of any kind, at all for Phenom II!(...)

Το Inquirer μιλάει για μαρτυρίες από το event που λένε για 6.3GHz@LN2 :

(...)AMD SHOWED OFF its upcoming 45-nanometer 'Deneb' desktop chips for reviewers in Texas on Thursday, and overclocked it to what some observers said was 6.3GHz.(...)

Από άλλο forum (Overclockers.com.au), πιστοποιούνται τα όσα αναφέρονται στις ειδήσεις των υπόλοιπων πηγών... :

(...)

1.55v for 3.9GHz, is that safe for a 45nm chip? :S

moloko, any chance of disclosing how much voltage it took for you to reach 4GHz?

Don't have my notepad with me (bag is being loaded on the shuttle) but from memory it was ~1.55v

So i guess the question is... when does the NDA drop

Nice info btw

I'll get confirmation when I get home and should have samples back in Aus in about a week or so... I think.

In the mean time they gave us each an ES of the upcoming Athlon X2 7750 to play with and I've got two 45nm Opterons waiting for an appropriate motherboard (come on Tyan >_<) to test as well. Add to the equation the i7 965 and 920 and there's lots of testing to be done

no coldbug... if that's true - AWESOME

Saw it with my own eyes - they were literally just filling the pot with LN2 and letting it go; no temp-pouring at all and no cold bug or cold boot bug.

Is this what the NDA is not letting you put out? 6GHz! Holy ****

No comment

And apparently not handpicked...

Correct. Non of the samples shown to us were cherries. Additionally I believe that the renowned extreme overclockers will go even further than what was being demonstrated as AMD were simply using the CPU multiplier to up the frequency and in my quick testing I found it was easier to obtain more frequency by adjusting multiple settings, not just the CPU multiplier.

It's great to see all this positive news coming out about Phenom II/Deneb can't wait to get my hands on one!

Agreed; it is good to hear something positive and interesting - I had the biggest smile when I saw the temps and frequencies being run.

For once, I'm actually super excited about an AMD sample and waiting with much anticipation. I haven't had this feeling for a long, long time (...)

Ενώ πιό κάτω στο ίδιο θέμα αναφέρεται πως :

(Β)they were super cherry picked according to **** (works for Foxconn) who would have probably made that assumption as he's tested many of these processors on air and subzero in Foxconn labs already

Intel is trying to say that there might be some trickery involved getting these results and they are thinking of resorting to same thing from what i could understand from Francois' post at XS.

Bottom line is neither manufacturer should show overclocks unless they are confident that AT LEAST some of the top user binned retail cherries can replicated these results on XS(/Β)

Επίσης προκαλεί ενδιαφέρον η συμμετοχή του Francois Piednoel ενός από τους top ανθρώπους στο χώρο του development της Intel,

συμμετέχοντα (ίσως και leader) ομάδων σχεδιασμού πολλών από τις επιτυχίες της Intel (Skulltrail Platform ), εκπρόσωπο στις παρουσιάσεις των καινούριων της επεξεργαστών,

μία από τις τωρινές ενασχολήσεις του οποίου είναι το fine-tuning των Larabee και i7, σε ένα από τα φλέγοντα θέματα περί Deneb και overclockability, στο Xtremesystems.org : Phenom II 6 GHz+ OVERCLOCK .

Ο ίδιος είναι μέλος στο ΧS ήδη αρκετό καιρό (12/2007)...

Μερικές από τις απαντήσεις του ήταν :

link

...Bring it on baby!!! I am ready!...

link

didn't know you're following this room so closely

The best way to beat your competitor is to know his product better than he does

Francois ...

link

And the big question is... how much will you drop prices in anticipation on this

More like ... how much higher frequency will I get when I LN2 ...

link

This certanly looks promising. Not that Intel hasn't provided us with plenty cost efficient CPU's but i really miss the AMD vs Intel battles like back in days of Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon4 (Tbird series) and later with AthlonXP...

Let's see what it can do on SuperPI, Cinenbench ...

link

Yeah but like i said SuperPI was useless even back in the day when ,as you claim SuperPi was "recommended".BTW,i don't really know if this is true or not,never heard AMD claimed that-can you post a link that confirms that claim?

SuperPI is ,and i stand by these words,useless in time and space.No matter in what time you go,past present or future,it's useless.It does nothing,it proves nothing(apart that intel hw can well predict instruction stream,has benefit from large cache of core and it likes the legacy fp instructions superpi uses).

Putting SuperPI in a test "mix" could only skew the results to intel favor without providing ANY tangible results for end users.One can say yeah,but my intel CPU does SPI in 8 secs and your AMD chip in 19s,so my CPU is 2x+ times faster!Which is the most ridicules claim ever.

ok, let s see what the Xtreme community will come up with

Let's see what will happen when the Intel Guys do LN2 too

And let's see how the product in the store will look ......

link

You are telling me no one tried Core i7 under LN2?

As for the retail Deneb comment,i agree ,we have to wait and see what it will look like in OC department.But what we know from Shanghai,it will be faster than Agena clock for clock,it will consume 40-50% less power and it will OC to near 4Ghz on air while remaining relatively cool.All these attributes make it a potential killer mainstream chip, be it gaming or whatnot.

Oh and it doesn't have cold bug,which means 6+Ghz clocks under LN2 will be seen for sure.

nop, I did not try yet, so, let 's see. High clock demonstration by manufacturer is usually very meaning less, since the list of tricks I can pull to increase the speed is almost illimited. We saw a demo of a 4Ghz barcelona, nobody except AMD ever got there.

I am a very honnest person, so, every body need to understand what I can do ... I can change ratios on the fly, I can unlock parts of the CPU, I can defeature parts of the processors that does not clock well, and everybody who think AMD can not do the same thing is naive

This is why at the end, what matter is to have a curve with at least 4 frequencies to make sure that nothing was defeatured to get to the high clock (When it is manufacturer demo)

For the moment, I will pull a side those tricks and see what I can get with LN2, and to make sure it is true, I ll do it with a famous OC master , then, I ll pull my tricks ...

Stay tunes ! fun is coming! ...

Αναμονή και μάλλον θα έχουμε έκπληξη και από τις δύο πλευρές...ελπίζω προς όφελός μας πάντα...

Και κάτι που μάλλον είναι από την καινούρια πλατφόρμα :

AMD-Dragon.jpg

Άλλο ένα άρθρο για το event αυτό και από το fudzilla με 1 ακόμη πληροφορίες + 1 φωτό :

AMD has demonstrated that Deneb, Phenom II CPU, when cooled with LN2 can run stable at over 5GHz+ and run stable Far Cry 2 benchmark. This is a great score as the guys who were overlocking have said that this was the first time they seriously played with Deneb overclocking.

They used Gigabyte motherboard in AM2+ edition with 790GX chipset and the chipset is the part of this success story as the guys who made it have said that they believe it’s the best one AMD made so far.

The temperature was insane minus 186 Celsius and we recon they used 1.9V voltage, something that you use only if you have a superb cooling. This clearly shows that Deneb, Phenom II will have a fighting chance and it should stand much better compared to Intel’s lineup but we are still no aware how Deneb goes against the same clocked Nehalem, Core i7.

Sami Maekinen (γνωστός και ώς...? :D)

Here is Sami Maekinen, AMD's top notch overclocker and the chap who helped develop Overdive software OC tool, next to 5GHz+ Deneb running stable :

Macci.jpg

Δεν θα σταθώ τόσο στον Deneb, από όσα μας είπες και μας έδειξες εδώ (ευχαριστώ felix για τον κόπο σου να μας παρουσιάσεις αυτά που διάβασες), αλλά στην οργάνωση που έχουν στο extreme benchmarking και στη σημασία που δίνουν κάποιες εταιρίες στον υπερχρονισμό.

Αν έκανε το ίδιο και η Microsoft δεν θα είχαμε Windows 7 ως το επόμενο λειτουργικό, αλλά κάτι καλύτερο.

Πιστεύω πως είναι αρκετά τα στοιχεία (όχι από αυτό το thread, μιλάω γενικά) που δείχνουν πόσο κατανοούν οι εταιρίες Hardware (τουλάχιστον οι 3 μεγάλοι, αλλά και τα διάφορα brands που στηρίζουν τα προϊόντα τους σε αυτά των προηγούμενων), πως για να γίνουν ανταγωνιστικά και προφανώς καλύτερα τα προϊόντα τους, πρέπει να αφήσουν τους ίδιους τους καταναλωτές να τους δείξουν τις ανάγκες τους, αλλά και τις προτιμήσεις τους...

Γιαυτό το λόγο έχουν "στρατολογήσει" τους πιό extreme χρήστες, έτσι ώστε να τους δείξουν τα μειονεκτήματα των προηγούμενων εκδόσεων , αλλά και για να τα υποβάλλουν σε εξαντλητικές και "real world" δοκιμές....με στόχο την εξέλιξη...

Πέρα από τα προγράμματα "beta testing" για τις διάφορες εφαρμογές, δεν έχω και πιστεύω πως δέν θα μπορέσω να βρώ το ίδιο εύκολα πληροφορίες για κάποια αντίστοιχη συνεργασία, εφάμιλλη αυτής που περιέγραψα....

Σημασία έχει πως : ναί, θα μπορούσαν να υπάρχουν καλύτερα δομημένες εφαρμογές και οι εκδόσεις τους σε timescale να έχουν βελτιώσεις επί της ουσίας από τις προηγούμενές τους...

Κάποια πράγματα που γράφει ο Francois Piednoel, μου έκαναν εντύπωση.

I am a very honnest person, so, every body need to understand what I can do ... I can change ratios on the fly, I can unlock parts of the CPU, I can defeature parts of the processors that does not clock well, and everybody who think AMD can not do the same thing is naive.

This is why at the end, what matter is to have a curve with at least 4 frequencies to make sure that nothing was defeatured to get to the high clock

ΔΗλαδή μας λέει ότι υπάρχουν διάφορα τρικ, που μπορούν να δώσουν παραπάνω επιδόσεις, όπως να ενεργοποιηθούν και κυρίως να απενεργοποιηθούν τμήματα του επεξεργαστή που δεν τραβάνε.

Έτσι για να έχει γνώμη αν πράγματι δεν έγινε κάποια λαδιά, θέλει να δει την καμπύλη που προκύπτει από τέσσερις διαφορετικές συχνότητες, που οδήγησαν στα 6GHz.

Έψαξα το βιογραφικό του και είδα ότι είναι Γάλλος, που τέλειωσε τη Στρατιωτική Σχολή Ευελπίδων της Γαλλίας και το Πανεπιστήμιο της Χάβρης.

Αυτή τη στιγμή η θέση του είναι Senior Performance Analyst της Intel και ως υπεύθυνος για τις extreme επιδόσεις των Intel επεξεργαστών, μάλλον ξέρει τι λέει.

Edit

Πρωτοσέλιδο εξώφυλλο του Francois Piednoel στο τελευταίο τεύχος του περιοδικού TheOverclocker με τίτλο

Mr Intel

Francois Piednoel

The man who makes Intel go fast

http://cde.cerosmedia.com/overclocker/1Z48f3153b994bb844.cde

υποθετω οτι υπαρχει και καποιος αντιστοιχος Francois Piednoel στην AMD? ως Senior Performance Analyst εννοω. αυτος τι λεει? δεν εχουμε καποιες δηλωσεις? χωρις να κριτικαρω αυτα που λεει ο Senior Performance Analyst της Ιντελ, θα ηθελα να ακουσω και την αλλη πλευρα.

Κάποια πράγματα που γράφει ο Francois Piednoel, μου έκαναν εντύπωση.

ΔΗλαδή μας λέει ότι υπάρχουν διάφορα τρικ, που μπορούν να δώσουν παραπάνω επιδόσεις, όπως να ενεργοποιηθούν και κυρίως να απενεργοποιηθούν τμήματα του επεξεργαστή που δεν τραβάνε.

Έτσι για να έχει γνώμη αν πράγματι δεν έγινε κάποια λαδιά, θέλει να δει την καμπύλη που προκύπτει από τέσσερις διαφορετικές συχνότητες, που οδήγησαν στα 6GHz.

Έψαξα το βιογραφικό του και είδα ότι είναι Γάλλος, που τέλειωσε τη Στρατιωτική Σχολή Ευελπίδων της Γαλλίας και το Πανεπιστήμιο της Χάβρης.

Αυτή τη στιγμή η θέση του είναι Senior Performance Analyst της Intel και ως υπεύθυνος για τις extreme επιδόσεις των Intel επεξεργαστών, μάλλον ξέρει τι λέει.

Γιατί είχε δώσει ο ίδιος καμιά τέτοια καμπύλη με τα πρώτα reviews του I7 με ευκολία στα 4ghz+ για να μας αποδείξει πως δεν είχε κάνει λαδιά και την ζητά τώρα? Στρατιωτικός είπαμε πως είναι? Αι....... :suicide:

υποθετω οτι υπαρχει και καποιος αντιστοιχος Francois Piednoel στην AMD? ως Senior Performance Analyst εννοω. αυτος τι λεει? δεν εχουμε καποιες δηλωσεις? χωρις να κριτικαρω αυτα που λεει ο Senior Performance Analyst της Ιντελ, θα ηθελα να ακουσω και την αλλη πλευρα.

Στο αδελφό θέμα στο Xtremesystems.org : PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2, συμμετέχει και ο oλλανδός chip-architect Hans de Viers (info, website1, website2), δίνοντας σημαντικές πληροφορίες για το πιθανώς χαμηλότερο leakage (transistor drive current leakage) που έχει το design της AMD σε σχέση με αυτό της Intel :

Δεν πρόκειται για αντιπαράθεση απλά ένωσα τις απαντήσεις του καθενός στον προηγούμενό του (τα αρχικά ποστ βρίσκονται στα links), καθώς αυτές δεν ήταν σε διαδοχικά ποστ...

Θεώρησα ενδιαφέροντα τα στοιχεία και γιαυτό τα παρέθεσα...

link

There are reports that some ATi people are to be "blamed" () for this kind of shift in marketing and product strategy.It seems it's working,so kudos to them
those reports about shift in marketing are true, but real address for kudos is Dresden design center and AMD-IBM team in Fishkill

Don't remember who posted this explanation about AMD's 65nm doldroms (maybe Hans)

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=NSF5TFSS0USCYQSNDLPSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=10803100&printable=true&printable=true

But with 45nm tech things are complitely different, and AMD/IBM team has done some amazing job with their imersion 45nm tech, that yield all these goodies (lack of coldbug, high voltage tolerance, high clocks...)

You can read all about it here: http://www.eetimes.eu/semi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=0JFPMZHPOV0J2QSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=212002481&printable=true

this part is most significant:

The new design of the PFET moves the embedded silicon-germanium source/drain regions closer to the channel to maximize the transfer of stress, thereby increasing hole mobility. Although shorter gate lengths are not driving the improvements, it is a reduction in dimensions that allows increased channel stress to provide the performance scaling. AMD 45-nm PFET design reduces the space from embedded silicon-germanium to the channel edge by half.

The transistor drive current for AMD's 45-nm devices is much lower than that of the Intel HKMG transistors. But power consumption is quickly becoming a high priority for server chips. AMD's transistors exhibit very low channel leakage.

Our transistor benchmarks indicates that leakage current is less than one-third of the value measured on AMD's 65-nm process. It's also significantly lower than the Intel 45-nm HKMG process. In fact the Ion/Ioff ratio for AMD's PFET is nearly 10 times better than that for the Intel PFET.

oh when I remember some comments on this forum that SOI is doomed with coldbug for eternety, and that is unable to produce any benefits beyond 90nm tech

link

I am struggling to believe this statement without the IV curves and Ion/Ioff curves to assess the validity of this.... it just sounds way way to much.

here is what I mean, Intel's drive current for PMOS is about 1000 uA/um at an Ioff of 100 nA/um ... that is a ratio of 10:1, for AMD to be 10 times better would mean that at a Ion of 600ish that the EETimes article is quoting ... their Ioff would need to be 6 nA/um this is an order of manitude lower than any PMOS Ioff ever reported for a high performance high Vt proces. Ever.

It is just hard to believe.... hopefully AMD/IBM will produce some data at IEDM in a few weeks and we will be able to see if this guys claims are true... I sincerely doubt it.

link

The abstract below was already a while on IEDM's technical program for

December. Not yet implemented on current Shanghai's but still to come.

Notice that a NMOS drive current of 1354μA/μm (without HKMG) is the same

as on Intel's HKMG process . The current Shanghai has been measured to

have a PMOS drive current of 660 μA/μm. Much less as the 857μA/μm

mentioned here.

IEDM-2008

27.7 Implementation and Optimization of Asymmetric Transistors in Advanced SOI CMOS

Technologies for High Performance Microprocessors,

J. Hoentschel, A. Wei, M. Wiatr, A. Gehring, T.

Scheiper, R. Mulfinger, T. Feudel, T. Lingner, A. Poock, S. Muehle, C. Krueger, T. Hermann*, W. Klix*,

R. Stenzel*, R. Stephan, P. Huebler, T. Kammler, P. Shi, M. Raab, D. Greenlaw, M. Horstmann, AMD

Fab 36 LLC & Co. KG, *University of Applied Science Dresden

Sub-40nm Lgate asymmetric halo and source/drain extension transistors have been integrated into leadingedge

65nm and 45nm PD-SOI CMOS technologies. The asymmetric NMOS and PMOS saturation drive

currents improve up to 12% and 10%, respectively, resulting in performance of NIDSAT=1354μA/μm and

PIDSAT=857μA/μm. Product-level implementation show a speed benefit of 12%.

http://www.his.com/~iedm/program/sessions/s27.html

Regards, Hans

link

AMD/IBM is 1354/857 NMOS/PMOS at what voltage and Ioff ?

Well, It's not from IBM . It's a paper from the AMD Dresden guys who did

manage to do this. I presume they use the (more or less) standard

reference point of 1V/100nA/um. IBM tends to use 200nA/um

Intel is 1360/1070 at 1V and 100nA/um Ioff.

Yes, The very high PMOS current is because of their gate replacement

process. By etching the whole polysilicon gate away they leave a big gap

and all the strain is released on the channel.

Intel's 32nm HKMG numbers are: Intel is 1550/1210 at 1V and 100nA/um Ioff.

http://btbmarketing.com/iedm/releases/IEDM08_late_news_final.doc

There are also some HKMG numbers from IBM/Freescale/AMD

1630μA/µm and 1190μA/µm have been demonstrated at 1V and 200nA/μm off

corrected for 100nA that would be 1570/1160μA/µm or so.

http://www.his.com/~iedm/program/sessions/s27.html

All still R&D papers of course at the moment.

Regards, Hans

Εχει χτυπισει συναγερμος στην ιντελ ή ειναι η ιδεα μου?:yes2:

Οπως και να χει νομιζω οτι το συγκεκριμενο θεμα καλο θα ηταν να μπει στην κεντρικη μας σελιδα ως ειδηση.

Εχει χτυπισει συναγερμος στην ιντελ ή ειναι η ιδεα μου?:yes2:

Οπως και να χει νομιζω οτι το συγκεκριμενο θεμα καλο θα ηταν να μπει στην κεντρικη μας σελιδα ως ειδηση.

Εμένα πάντως μου φαίνονται παιχνιδίσματα και από τις 2 εταιρίες...η μία έχει παρουσιάσει και έχει βγεί στην αγορά οη καινούρια της πλατφόρμα...και δεν έχει γίνει κανας σάλος με i7 που να χτυπάει 6.5+ LN2 ή κάποιο νούμερο ανώτερο από Penryn...από την άλλη βγήκαν αυτά τα teaser infos, αλλά δεν λένε και πολλά...η intel αφήνει ένα υπονοούμενο με σαρκασμό για τα αποτελέσματα αυτά, τα αποτελέσματα αυτά αναμασώνται από όλο το web....και να έχει η Τατιάνα να λέει....

Θυμίζει χαρτοπαιξία με φούλ μπλόφες...δεν ξέρεις τι είναι αλήθεια, τί είναι marketing/PR, τι είναι χαλασμένο τηλέφωνο...γιαυτό υπομονή και περιμένω αυτό που θα έρθει στα χέρια μου από κατάστημα να είναι max -10% από αυτό που πανηγυρικά θα παρουσιαστεί..από όποια και από τις 2 αν είναι...

Χε χε. Τα ίδια που έγραφες εδώ τα έγραφα στο XS.

Άρχισε να μου μυρίζει κι εμένα λίγο το timing με τις φήμες ότι οι Deneb δεν έχουν cold bug και ανεβαίνουν 6.xGHz με LN.

Μιλάμε για τη στιγμή που βγαίνουν στην αγορά οι core I7 και μάλιστα περίοδο Χριστουγέννων που ο κόσμος έχει χρήμα.

Μια τέτοια φήμη, σίγουρα θα κόψει πωλήσεις από την Intel.

Γιατί είχε δώσει ο ίδιος καμιά τέτοια καμπύλη με τα πρώτα reviews του I7 με ευκολία στα 4ghz+ για να μας αποδείξει πως δεν είχε κάνει λαδιά και την ζητά τώρα? Στρατιωτικός είπαμε πως είναι? Αι....... :suicide:

Ε? Γιατί είδες φήμες να λένε ότι οι Core I7 θα ανεβαίνουν στα 7GHz χωρίς στοιχεία?

Ότι παράξενο βλέπουμε το γράφουμε, ανεξάρτητα αν είναι Intel ή AMD.

Όσο για το Στρατιωτικός, όχι δεν είναι. Τη σχολή τέλειωσε μόνο.

Πάντως δεν είναι ευγενικό να θίγεις άτομα ανάλογα με το επάγγελμα τους ή άλλα χαρακτηριστικά.

Αν δεν σου αρέσουν οι ψηλοί, οι κοντοί, οι χοντροί, οι ομοφυλόφιλοι, οι Αλβανοί και οι Κινέζοι, μην τους κάνεις παρέα.

Αλλά δεν μας ενδιαφέρουν οι προτιμήσεις σου.

Archived