Πρόβλημα σε firmware upgrade στον WD My Book Home

nickstamat

Λοιπόν, το πράγμα έχει ως εξής:

Βγήκε ένα firmware upgrade για τη σειρά My Book Home της WD και είναι διαθέσιμο για download σε αυτή τη σελίδα: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=111&sid=99〈=en.

Το πρόβλημα είναι ότι έχω Windows Vista x64 SP1 και όταν τρέχω το πρόγραμμα, εμφανίζεται το παρακάτω error message:

error-wd.jpg

Έστειλα e-mail στην WD για το πρόβλημα:

I downloaded the firmware upgrade program for my WD My Book Home 750 GB from this page: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=111&sid=99〈=en

I unzipped the file and ran the WD_MB_Home_1034_1_03.exe.

The problem is that it shows me a message saying "Error while loading generic library".

Please see the image I attach, in order to fully understand this issue.

I would appreciate it if you provided me a solution to this problem.

Yours faithfully

Η απάντηση της WD:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

Western Digital technical support only provides jumper configuration and physical installation support for hard drives used in systems running 64-bit Windows Operating Systems. For setup questions beyond physical installation of your Western Digital hard drive, please contact Microsoft for support. Device drivers for Western Digital EIDE, SATA, USB, and FireWire hard drives are already included in all 64-bit Windows Operating Systems therefore no specific driver upgrades are needed during hard drive installation.

Microsoft Support: http://support.microsoft.com

If you look at the web page for the downloads of this device you will see:

Supported Operating Systems

Windows 2000, XP (32-bit), or Vista (32-bit)

Sincerely

Η απάντησή μου:

This is NOT a driver upgrade. It is a firmware upgrade for this specific HDD.

Supporting only 32-bit Windows versions for a firmware upgrade program is totally unacceptable.

I do not consider 64-bit versions of the applications bundled as necessary. However, in this case we are talking about the firmware of the HDD drive which should be upgraded (as long as an upgrade is available). The firmware upgrader should be able to run flawlessly on all the operating systems that the HDD is compatible with.

A firmware upgrader should be able to run flawlessly on all the operating systems that the HDD is compatible with.

I believe that your reference to Microsoft's Support Site is irrelevant. The firmware upgrader is a program developed and distributed by Western Digital and it is not Microsoft's responsibility to support this software.

I kindly request a more detailed and substantiated reply.

Yours sincerely

Και η τελική απάντηση της WD:

Thank you for your reply.

The firmware upgrade runs with the Operating System, since Vista 64 is NOT compatible with our devices and software, it will not work and we are not able to support it.

The firmware upgrade is a program developed and distributed by Western Digital, that is correct, and as I said, our devices are not compatible with Vista 64, they are however compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista 32 bit.

I apologize for the inconvenience, this is the policy of Western Digital.

Sincerely

Δεν ασχολήθηκα περισσότερο γιατί θεώρησα απαράδεκτο το γεγονός ότι δεν υποστηρίζονται τα 64-bit.

Θα μπορούσα κάλλιστα ίσως να τρέξω το upgrade program σε κάποιο άλλο PC με 32-bit Vista/XP, αν και προσπαθώ να βρω τρόπο να το αποφύγω και να το κάνω στο δικό μου PC.

1) Έχετε καμιά ιδέα για το τι μπορεί να φταίει και να υπάρχει αυτό το πρόβλημα στα 64άρια?

2) Επίσης, γιατί η WD είναι τόσο αρνητική σε αυτό?

Η φράση "since Vista 64 is NOT compatible with our devices and software, it will not work and we are not able to support it" σημαίνει ότι οι σκληροί της δίσκοι δεν είναι συμβατοί με τα Vista 64, άρα δε θα δουλεύουν (εκτός αν τα Αγγλικά μου είναι τόσο χάλια, που κατάλαβα κάτι τελείως λάθος).

Θα μπορούσα να απαντήσω ότι κάτι τέτοιο δεν ισχύει (εφόσον, φυσικά, αναγνωρίζεται ο controller στον οποίο είναι συνδεδεμένοι), αλλά θεώρησα ότι ήταν άδικος κόπος.

Για πείτε ρε παίδες... :hm:

Αν στο site τους ή στη συσκευασία του προϊόντος λένε ότι υποστηρίζουν 64bit και τελικά δεν το κάνουν είναι υπόλογοι. Αν πάλι όχι, τότε όντως δεν έχουν καμία υποχρέωση να το κάνουν support.

Στο κουτί γράφει τα παρακάτω:

compatibility.jpg

ΟΚ, η πρόταση "Compatibility may vary depending on [...] operating system" μπορεί να υπονοεί ότι δεν υποστηρίζει τις εκδόσεις 64-bit, αλλά εφόσον αναφέρει Windows Vista/XP/2000, μπορεί να ισχύει κάτι τέτοιο?

Anyway, το θέμα μου είναι η αναβάθμιση του firmware. Θα δοκιμάσω και στο laptop που έχω επίσης Vista x64 και μετά θα πάω στο PC του φάδερ που τρέχει XP 32-bit.

Archived