TITANFALL

GruntGR

Man I love it when we get a thread with people who are curious about how things work. Now understand that I cannot talk about what CoD does - I'd be at risk of violating their trade secrets given that I know non-public info. But I can talk about general problems and solutions.

Turambar, what you're describing is called "client authoritative." The client decides that he has shot someone (or some games have the client decide that he's been shot). I would argue that this is pretty much unshippable, because clients can cheat by declaring that they have shot everybody, or that they are invincible. They key thing with client authoritative is that nobody else can verify if they are correct or not. This is very, very bad. Short version of client authoritative, is a client will send you a message saying, "I shot you in the face, please subtract 100 from your health."

Server-authoritative games (aka client-server) run the same simulation on both sides, but the server's version is the only one that matters in deciding what happens. So there is no real benefit to changing your local code to modify a gun's firing rate, clip size, or even your own run speed, because the server will just ignore it and you'll be mispredicting all over the place. The short version of this one is, "I'm pressing the trigger at where you think I'm standing, at an angle of 40 degrees." So the server can completely simulate that without any extra info other than button presses, view angles, etc.

Now if someone runs a hacked server, then you're now all at the mercy of whatever they have done. Now they are authoritative, but you don't have the same simulation as them, so you're mispredicting and they are in control of what actually happens. If your game has persistent data, this can be really dangerous because they can possibly wipe out progress, etc. But that's a different topic entirely - I just like to challenge people and get brains moving.

For lag compensation, generally what you do is have the server rewind the state of the world so that when it does bullet collision, the world looks like it did on your screen when you pulled the trigger. So while a player may now be behind a wall, if he was out in the open when you shot him, it'll do damage to him. This can be frustrating, but keep in mind that if you "missed" players right before they ran behind walls, that would also be frustrating, too. Nobody has come up with a perfect solution to this.

If you can have players play on servers with a low ping, then the distance someone will have moved is much smaller, so you'll get less visible cases. So at 200ms, you could die long after you ran behind a wall. But at 50ms, you might not even be fully past the edge of the wall yet, so your perceived injustice is really small.

Finally, for hit detection, some games use bounding boxes, and some games do per-poly collision. Per-poly will be the most accurate. But that said, there is some give and take with bounding boxes - you can have so many that it's a pretty decent approximation of per-poly (a box for the hand, a box for the wrist, a box for the forearm, etc.).

Like many other engineering problems, this is just a tradeoff of CPU vs accuracy. It's easy to hand wave and say, "you need per-poly collision or you're a lazy programmer", but in the end, programmers & designers have a finite amount of CPU to spread around, so it might mean cutting things that are really cool - there is no right answer. Smart people look at tradeoffs and figure out what can be done to make the best game that you can make. Sometimes that allows for per-poly, sometimes it doesn't, and if you can't tell which the game is doing, then they probably made the right decision.

Respawn Entertainment forum • View topic - Hit registration, Lag comp, and slothy's ramblings

4 σελιδες ακομα :D

nail-biting-o.gif

• 2 weeks later...
It’s safe to say E3 was just a little bit crazy for us. The response was amazing and thanks to everyone who waited in long lines to see the demo. All told we came away with over 100 nominations and over 60 wins from media outlets at E3 which is really inspiring to everyone here. If you weren’t able to see Titanfall at the show, all the highlights have been compiled in the following video
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2H1NJiLuH0&feature=player_embedded]Titanfall Official E3 Recap Video - YouTube[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N58GkgxWyo]Hype Tank![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23WN2zETwWw]New Titanfall: Pilot Weapon Details - YouTube[/ame]

Titanfall 's Xbox One box art confirmed by EA - Behind GamesBehind Games

Xbox One’s ‘Titanfall’ and ‘Battlefield 4’ headline EA’s Gamescom lineup - National Video Game | Examiner.com

To single player game φαίνεται πολύ ωραίο όπως και το co op, φοβάμαι για το multi ότι το unreal tournament fight σε συνδιασμό με mech ίσως κάνουν το game TITANFAIL. Πάντως για την ώρα είναι υποσχόμενο αν και to run and jump δεν μου αρέσει.

To single player game φαίνεται πολύ ωραίο

Εγώ έχω καταλάβει ότι δεν θα υπάρχει SP. Το SP και το MP γίνονται ένα.

ότι το unreal tournament fight σε συνδιασμό με mech

Όντως θυμίζει unreal tournament. Αυτό σε καμία περίπτωση δεν είναι κακό. Θα καταφέρουν όμως να ξαναγυρίσουν τον κόσμο σε τόσο fast paced FPS ?

Έγινε επεξεργασία από gdp77

To single player game φαίνεται πολύ ωραίο όπως και το co op, φοβάμαι για το multi ότι το unreal tournament fight σε συνδιασμό με mech ίσως κάνουν το game TITANFAIL. Πάντως για την ώρα είναι υποσχόμενο αν και to run and jump δεν μου αρέσει.

Εσύ γέρασες, σύνταξη :p

Respawn's Vince Zampella has explained why the upcoming Titanfall won't have a traditional single-player campaign.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, the former Infinity Ward co-founder explained that the decision was partly made due to Respawn being "a small startup studio" consisting of just "60-some developers."

"We make these single-player missions that take up all the focus of the studio, that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in 8 minutes," he said. "And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game.

"Really, you split the team. They're two different games. They're balanced differently, they're scoped differently. But people spend hundreds of hours in the multiplayer experience versus 'as little time as possible rushing to the end' [in single-player]. So why do all the resources go there? To us it made sense to put it here. Now everybody sees all those resources, and multiplayer is better. For us it made sense."

Zampella goes on to explain there will be some narrative in the game, but it'll all be accessed through the multiplayer modes. Additionally, he asserted that the single-player/multiplayer blend could work if studios have enough resources, and cited the Assassin's Creed franchise as one which had got it right.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/24/why-titanfall-has-no-single-player-campaign

In regards to creating a pro-configuration, my guess is that it will emerge a dialogue between Respawn and the pro community.

It's not hard to take content out, but people should play with the content before deciding what to take out for competitive play.

Έγινε επεξεργασία από Alexopus6