nVidia RTX 40X0 Ada Architecture

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_explains_psu_requirements_for_geforce_rtx_40_series_gpu.html

Do I need to upgrade my PSU for the RTX 40 Series?

The RTX 40 Series doesn’t require a new power supply if you already meet the PSU wattage recommendations. The RTX 4090 TGP is 450 W and the minimum recommended PSU is 850 W. The 4080 16GB TGP is 320 W with a minimum recommended power supply of 750W, and the minimum recommended power supply for the 4080 12GB is 700W.

Do the RTX 40 Series cards require a new type of power connector or a new power cable?

No. The RTX 40 Series cards come with power adapters that allow you to use existing power supplies with existing 8-pin PCIe connectors. The RTX 40 Series cards can also use the PCIe Gen5 power connector which allows you to power the graphics card with a single cable.

If the RTX 40 Series cards can use the existing connectors and power supplies, then why change to a new connector standard?

The PCIe Gen5 power connector is the new standard for PCIe add-in-card power. The standard allows you to power the graphics card with a single cable, which simplifies cable routing and improves airflow inside the chassis, among other benefits.

PCI-SIG warned of potential overcurrent/overpower risk with 12VHPWR connectors using non-ATX 3.0 PSU & Gen 5 adapter plugs. Why did PCI-SIG issue the warning and how does this affect NVIDIA’s new products?

It does not affect NVIDIA’s new products. During early development and testing we identified a potential issue with a prototype connector manufactured from a sole supplier. As a PCI-SIG member, we informed the supplier, asked them to fix it (which they did), and shared our findings to help suppliers who are implementing the new standard. The PCI-SIG was passing along those learnings to other suppliers.

Are the RTX 40 Series Adapters “smart” enough to interface with a ATX 2.0 PSU and appropriately regulate the power to the GPU?

Yes. The adapter has active circuits inside that translate the 8-pin plug status to the correct sideband signals according to the PCIe Gen 5 (ATX 3.0) spec.

Should I be concerned if my PSU only has one power rail available to connect my graphics card (i.e. only have 1 power connection available)?

Please connect the original power supply output connectors and cables directly to the included power adapter. Power supplies typically only supply up to 2x 8pin PCIe connectors per output cable. RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 16GB require at least 3x 8pin PCIe connectors or a 450W or greater PCIe Gen 5 connector.

Tzef me lene – Ιππότη Νάνε

• Like 1

Οχι δεν αναφερομαι στην 4090 αναφερομαι στο πιθανο uplift της 4080... Σκεφτομουν να μεινω χωρις βασικη καρτα αλλα αν εχει 70% η 4090 απο τις προηγούμενες και η 4080 απο την 3080ti λογικα θα εχει μεγαλη διαφορα αρα θα το σκεφτω

7 ώρες πριν, το μέλος GFFermari έγραψε:

6900XT? Really?

Τι έχει μια 6900xt; Ή μια 3080/3080ti; Μια χαρά κάρτες είναι. Προσωπικά, έτσι θα την πάω τη δουλειά. Αν δεν αποφασίσουν να ρίξουν τις τιμές, μια χαρά είναι κι η προηγούμενη γενιά.

• Like 1